Accounting & Finance
San Mateo, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2023
Insurance is a trillion dollar market that is fundamental to society, yet it has not modernized — until now.
Newfront is building the modern insurance experience.
We've reimagined the experience for clients, prospects, and employees, altering the way people create, understand, select, transact, and use insurance. We're changing the approach so that it starts and ends with the client, not the product, and empowering people for moments that matter.
Our unique approach recognizes both the vast potential of technology and the fundamental role of insurance experts. We're a technology-driven company with DE&I in our DNA and strong values; we believe people matter most.
Our mission is to define the future of the insurance industry, while instilling a high performance culture in combination with living our Work, Love, Play ethos each day. We value balanced lives and are passionate about creating a culture of wellness that results in healthier, happier, and more productive employees, and more successful clients.
Newfront’s Accounting/Finance Team is passionate about numbers! We work collaboratively within our group and also with creative, expert teams across the organization. We are committed to the professional development of our team members and believe in accountability and are in this together – we work together to see the big picture and get the job done and are not afraid to have fun while doing so!
This position reports directly to the Assistant Corporate Controller and will thrive on operational and strategic initiatives such as automation and compensation projects, financial reporting, internal controls, and compliance.
This position is a full-time, exempt role and located in our San Mateo office. The role is expected to be three days in the office with a two-day remote schedule.
What will you do?
- General Ledger Management: Maintain and reconcile the general ledger accounts ensuring accuracy, completeness, and compliance with accounting standards. This includes recording and classifying financial transactions, reviewing and analyzing general ledger balances, and preparing and adjusting entries as needed (accruals, depreciation, and amortization).
- Month-end and Year-end Closing: Assist in the preparation of month-end and year-end financial statements and reports. This involves coordinating with various departments to gather the necessary information, performing account reconciliations, and ensuring timely and accurate financial closing processes.
- Revenue Recognition: Collaborate with sales, operations, and legal teams to understand contract terms and identify any potential issues or risks related to revenue recognition.
- Compliance and Internal Controls: Adhere to company policies, accounting regulations, and internal control procedures. Monitor compliance with financial policies and procedures and recommend enhancements or corrective actions as needed.
- Compliance and Regulatory Reporting: Assist in the preparation and submission of regulatory filings and compliance reports, such as tax returns, government surveys, and other financial disclosures.
- Process Improvement: Continuously evaluate and improve accounting processes and procedures to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness. Identify opportunities for automation and implement streamlined workflows where possible.
- Documentation and Recordkeeping: Maintain proper documentation and records of financial transactions, supporting schedules, and reconciliations. Ensure compliance with document retention policies.
- Interdepartmental Collaboration: Collaborate with other departments, such as Accounting, Legal, Finance and Strategy, to ensure accurate and timely financial information exchange, and resolve any related issues.
- Perform additional ad hoc tasks and requests.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business,
- 4+ years of demonstrated ability in accounting/finance field,
- Active CPA or working towards CPA designation,
- ASC 606 familiarity,
- Audit experience &/or public company accounting experience is preferred,
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both orally and in writing,
- Willingness to follow established policies and procedures consistently and accurately,
- Software familiarity (NetSuite, Google Sheets and MS Excel).
The pay range for this position in California, Washington, Colorado and New York at the commencement of employment is expected to be between $ 86,400 and $108,000/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, the employee will be in an “at-will position,” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At Newfront, we are committed to hiring diverse talent and supporting an inclusive workplace environment. If you are excited about a role at Newfront but feel you’re missing a few of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself. You may just be the next Newfront team member that we are looking for!
Newfront is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity is in our DNA and we believe that creating an inclusive workplace elevates the value we are able to bring to our customers and employees alike. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.