Principal macOS Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Kandji is the Apple Device Management and Security Platform. Kandji empowers companies to manage and secure Apple devices in the enterprise and at scale. By centrally securing and managing Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV devices, IT and InfoSec teams can save countless hours of manual, repetitive work with features like one-click compliance templates and more than 150 pre-built automations, apps, and workflows.
Device Harmony is our vision for tearing down the wall between IT and InfoSec to keep every Apple user secure and productive, using connected intelligence and automation. By choosing a career with Kandji, you will play an integral role in contributing to making our vision a reality. Backed by world-class investors such as Tiger Global, Greycroft, B Capital Group, Okta Ventures, the Spruce House Partnership, and First Round Capital, Kandji has raised over $100+M in capital to date.
Trusted by industry leaders, Kandji’s rapidly growing customer base includes companies like Ramp, Notion, Attentive, Netskope, Noom, Turo, Groupon, VoxMedia, and more.
Recognized for its award-winning products, Kandji was recently named the #1 fastest-growing app in Okta’s 2023 Businesses at Work Report and a G2 Best Software 2023 Award Winner for Fastest Growing Products!
We are excited to be hiring a Principal macOS Engineer right here in our San Francisco office! As a visionary leader in macOS engineering, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping the future of device management at Kandji. Reporting directly to the Sr. Director of Engineering, you'll partner with a team of talented engineers, driving innovation and technical excellence. We're in search of a macOS expert who can architect groundbreaking solutions, harness the power of macOS internals, and ensure the utmost security and compliance for our users. Your passion for problem-solving and staying at the forefront of macOS technology will be the driving force behind our mission.
How you will make a difference day to day:
- Hands on coder with ability to architect and contribute code for new features and proof of concepts
- Create architectures and high-level designs to meet our strategic objectives that are flexible and enable many options in the future without 100% clarity on what that future is
- Identify technology and strategic growth opportunities that enable Kandji to grow as a business and rally the organization behind these choices by providing clear rationale and technical vision
- Become an authority on the technologies of your team with the ability to answer questions to guide other developers and inform business management
- Collaborate cross functionally with distributed teams; much of our workforce is remote
- Work closely with engineering counterparts on other projects to ensure consistent architecture and product alignment
- Help drive quality by working with teams to promote modularized code that is testable, performant, and easy to maintain with multi-staged validation plans
- Design and deliver systems that require research on what is 'possible' rather than simply relying on past experience
- Required to work on-site 3 days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). Managers may require additional on-site days.
- Experience with complex concurrency management using OperationQueue and Grand Central Dispatch
- Experienced macOS developer with a clear understanding of the differences between macOS and other Apple platforms, such as iOS, with a deep understanding of technologies specific to macOS
- Highly familiar with AppKit, Foundation, Core Graphics, Core Animation and other relevant frameworks
- Strong technical communication skills that will enable you to collaborate effectively with peers and leadership
- Passion to dig in and lead the development of ground-breaking features and products
- Expertise developing native applications for macOS (Swift, Objective-C, C++)
- Deep understanding of operating system fundamentals, Cocoa design patterns, protocol-oriented programming, internals such as kernel mode and user mode, device drivers, filesystems, networking concepts, process and application management, security and access control
- Familiarity with network applications security and secure coding practices with ability to understand and assess client-side network and API code
- Experience working in Agile software development team and familiarity with build processes and best dev practices such as TDD / CI / CD
- Understanding of authentication protocols in the macOS enterprise system (e.g. enterprise connect)
- Excellent presentation skills with ability to deliver messages around ideas and effectively present them to both the executive team and broader engineering team alike
- 8+ years of expertise in Swift and advanced features of the language
- Experience writing BSD libraries and other low level macOS technologies
- Knowledge of System and Network extension technologies
- Experience in the enterprise security space
- Experience with managing a large fleet of Apple devices in an Enterprise environment (Mac admin) is a plus
- Mastery of MacOS/Mach/BSD module, driver, and kernel extensions
- Ability to say “I don’t know, but will find out” with the confidence in your abilities to deliver that unknown answer
These requirements are for the strongest, ideal candidate. Even if you do not outperform every bullet point, Kandji encourages you to apply. We promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture and recognize that even the strongest candidates won’t have all desired experiences and qualifications.
Benefits & Perks
• Competitive salary
• 100% individual and dependent medical + dental + vision coverage
• 401(k) with a 4% company match
• 20 days PTO
• 14 paid holidays per year
• 10 health and wellness days per year
• Kandji Wellness Week Off July 1 - July 5, 2024
• Equity for full-time employees
• 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents
• Cell phone & Internet stipend
• Exciting opportunities for career growth
• An outstanding, inclusive culture
We are excited to be serving a significant need for a fast-growing market, and are proud of the high-performing team we have brought together so far. If you’re someone who wants to engage in new, exciting projects that will challenge your skills in the best way possible, we would love to connect with you.
At Kandji we believe in fostering an inclusive environment in which employees feel encouraged to share their unique perspectives, leverage their strengths, and act authentically. We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those from all backgrounds and varying experiences.
Kandji is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, protected veteran or military status or any other status protected by applicable law.